Hyun Soo, Lim
Accomplished IT professional with a number of awards and accomplishments, including being selected as an “Enfant Terrible” by Fortune magazine (USA) and “New Intellectual” by Blue House (Presidential House), seeking to utilize my extensive experience.
|Wiz Ventures Co., Ltd.||Apr. 2015 – Present|
|Founder & CEO
Founded Wiz Ventures, a startup company that was created to provide personalized advertisement solution based on the SNS big data analysis in order to improve online advertisement method.
• Headed the business plan and system design as a founder of the company.
• Received orders for national R&D project and secured governmental support worth 500 million won.
• Spearheaded the development of personalized advertisement system based on SNS user analysis.
– Took in charge of business plan and system design. The service involved real-time crawling of SNS data, including Facebook, Twitter, and others and gathering of vital data and link with advertisement agencies to provide user-specific advertisement.
• Directed the development and opening of “Noreuja (Vital) News, a Facebook based news curation service.
– Took in charge of business plan and service design and development.
– Achieved a total of 600,000 downloads of news app.
• Led in plan and design of “news measurement assessment factor system” a big data based customized search system.
– Prepared and presented a proposal to secure project order from Korea Press Foundation.
– Headed planning and design of engine that enables news measurement assessment through topic analysis and natural language processing after receiving newspaper data from Korea Press Foundation, as well as user customized search clustering of news data and visualization.
• Instrumental in patents registration
– “System for classifying emotion strengthen to orthographical error and method thereof” May 2016
– “Behavioral advertising method according to the emotion that are acquired based on the extracted topics from SNS document” Aug. 2016
• Oversaw various national R&D projects. See the below “Project Summary” for more details.
|Columnist||Apr. 2014 – Apr. 2015|
|Worked as a freelance columnist – analyzed market trends in business and IT and wrote articles for major publications in Korea.
|We Interactive Co., Ltd||Mar. 2008 – Mar. 2014|
| Founder & CEO
Founded We Interactive and served as a president for six years and took in charge of overall business operation, including business planning, design and development of service, marketing strategies, business partnerships, securing investment through IR, and others.
• Succeeded in securing investment worth 400 million won from Korea Venture Investment Corp after effective business presentation.
• Received orders for national R&D project and secured governmental support worth 1.4 billion won.
• Founded a research institute affiliated with the company and received certification as a venture company.
• Directed the successful launching of keyword matching instant community service – designed and planned for business services.
• Spearheaded the Korea’s first smartphone mobile messenger service. Oversaw business planning and service and succeeded in securing partnership with phone carriers connecting to feature phones.
• Headed the Korea’s first Twitter-based social search engine development – rank algorithm development analyzing the influence of SNS users and popularity of message. Took in charge of business planning, service design, marketing, and oversaw the planning and services that included news, video apps, as well as overseeing the official service launch: http://www.quickple.com. Achieved great success where over 600,000 news apps were downloaded.
• Took in charge of business development of “Coualla” a social commerce curation service
– Developed the service analyzing purchase pattern of users, as well as gender and age to provide user-specific service.
– Spearheaded the service design and overall business plan.
– Developed for both iPhone and Android-based phone and created plans for effective marketing.
• Led in the launching of “Monday Deal” a first come first served discount service.
– Secured agreements with major home shopping companies, banks, clothing companies and others to market heavily discounted products. The service garnered positive feedback and word-of-mouth marketing, resulting in improved sales and profit.
– Developed and executed scores of marketing strategies.
• Succeeded in registering for patents in Korea and international: “Information Service Providing Real-time Renewal Information of Webpage and Method for Providing Information” in Jan. 2010 and “System for Instant Community Service and Method for Forming Instant Community” in Jul. 2008.
• Oversaw various national R&D projects. See the below “Project Summary” for more details.
|Maeil Business Newspaper||Mar. 2010 – Feb. 2011|
| IT Columnist
Currently work as an IT columnist at Maeil Business Newspaper, one of the top business newspaper companies in Korea, writes regular column “Lim Hyun-soo’s IT Hunch.”
|SK Communications||Jan. 2006 – Mar. 2008|
Employed at SK Communications, one of the top IT companies in Korea, directed key functions as a manager, including a number of important projects.
• Directed the Pann project, Nate.com’s new service – handled design on service entailing non-real name, non-login web 2.0 open bulletin board service ‘Pann’ (http://pann.nate.com). Achieved UV 800,000 and PV 12 million a daily.
• Effectively oversaw “Talk Talk” migration project, including detailed design, migration process, and deployment of administration policy after the migration.
• Oversaw Pann Wiki, a major new service for the company, including design, analysis, development, and launching.
• Operated Pann service, including monitoring, staff management, promotion, and taking measures on legal matters.
• Participated in Nate On BM project, including Nate On messenger business model development, ChaBot service planning, etc.
|Lycos Korea||Feb. 2000 – Jul. 2001|
Participated in the development of contents for homepage within Tripod and operation of content (http://wiz.lycos.co.kr). Utilized ASP, Oracle DB, and others.
|Sungkyunkwan University||Mar. 2001 – Feb. 2006|
|Double major: Computer Science and Business Administration|
|Hoseo University, Graduate School of Global Entrepreneurship||Mar. 2008 – Feb. 2010|
|Masters’ degree in Masters for Management|
Awards & Honors
|• Congressperson Citation in Handicap Volunteer Segment, the National Assembly of Korea, Dec. 2016
• Small and Medium Business Administration Director Award, the 10th Handicap Venture Item Competition, Small and Medium Business Administration, Nov. 2016
• Minister Award of the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Selection as K-Global 300, the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Dec. 2015
• Minister Award of the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Superior Re-Startup Business Venture, the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Nov. 2015
• Grand Prize (Small and Medium Business Administration Director Award), Innovative Failure Case Exhibition, the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Nov. 2014
• Grand Prize, 2010 SW Service New Business Idea Exhibition, National IT Industry Promotion Agency, Nov. 2010
• Grand Prize, SKT Open Idea+ Festival (SKT Presidential Award), Dec. 2008
• KT Venture Award, 2008‘Dreamfull Award’ (KT Presidential Award), Nov. 2008
• Grand Prize (Small and Medium Business Administration Director Award), the 10th IT Venture Innovation Competition, the Small and Medium Business Administration, Jul. 2008
• First Prize, (Small and Medium Business Administration Director Award), the 3rd National Venture Innovation Competition, the Small and Medium Business Administration, Jun. 2008
• Grand Prize, the 1st e-Biz New Idea Exhibition, the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy, Nov. 2005
• Minister Award, the 4th IT Venture Innovation Competition, the Ministry of Information and Communication, Nov. 2002
• Excellence Award (Seoul Mayor Award), Venture Item Competition, City of Seoul, Sept. 2002
• Grand Prize (Minister Award), Youth Recommendation Site, the Ministry of Information and Communication, Aug. 2000
• First Prize (Minister Award), the 3rd Korea Internet Competition, the Ministry of Information and Communication, Oct. 1999
• First Prize (Minister Award), the 3rd Computer Talent Competition, the Ministry of Information and Communication, Aug. 1999
Intellectual Property Rights
|• “Behavioral advertising method according to the emotion that are acquired based on the extracted topics from SNS document” Aug. 2016
• “System for classifying emotion strengthen to orthographical error and method thereof” May 2016
• “Information providing system for providing real time updated information in web page and method thereof” Sept. 2010
|• Selected as “IT Industry Enfant Terrible (New IT Innovator), Fortune Magazine (USA), Oct. 2010
• Selected as “New Intellectual” (Presidential Award), the National Commission for Rebuilding Korea and Cheongwadae (Blue House), Feb. 2001
Lectures & Presentations
|• Special lecture on leadership, Ewha Womans University, May 2012
• Special lecture, Graduate School of Information Media, KAIST, Oct. 2011
|When I was a baby owing to high fever, I came down with cerebral palsy and was classified as a person suffering from the 1st level physical and language disability. It goes without saying that I had difficult time when compare to other children. Despite the difficulty, rather than attend special schools for handicaps, I attended regular school since elementary schools as I did not want to limit myself to special environment. Although I went through difficult time owing to teasing and bullying of other
students in my middle school years, I overcame them through positive attitude and belief in myself.At that time, however, I did not realize that the whole advance of computer and internet will change my life in the future. I started my computer interest in high school years, including developing “Computer World with Lim Hyun-Soo” and “Web Wizard” website that taught homepage creation, as well as writing articles for major publications, such as How PC. I am proud to say that I won many prizes and awards for my efforts in the field. In addition, I secured CP agreement with Lycos Korea to supply contents
and with the encouragement of others and to fulfill my career goal, I founded my business in IT industry. From then I started web programming in full force and entered a “National Internet Homepage Competition” sponsored by the Ministry of Information and Communication and won a prize and also won 20 other awards, including winning the awards from the Ministry of Information and Communication four times during my high school years. Moreover, I won the “Dong-A Digital Grand Prize” and the First Prize (Minister
Award) in the 3rd Korea Internet Competition in 1999, among others. For my exceptional work and contribution in IT, I made numerous appearances on major newspapers and also was selected by the MBC Broadcasting for “Let’s Give Compliment” program. Additionally, I was selected as the “New Intellectual” (Presidential Award) by the National Commission for Rebuilding Korea and Cheongwadae (Blue House) in Feb. 20101. To further my capability in IT industry, I enrolled at Sungkyunkwan University and began studying
compute engineering. To combine IT with business, I also majored in business administration and won scores of awards including winning the Minister Award in the 4th IT Venture Innovation Competition from the Ministry of Information and Communication.After graduating from Sungkyunkwan University, I joined SK Communications and participated in a number of major projects, including directing the Nate Pann project and played a key role in successful opening of the service. Afterward, I was assigned to management main contents for the Nate Pann. In 2nd year, I was appointed to manage Pann Wiki as a project manager and handled multifaceted role, including design, analysis, development and launching. Additionally, I also managed administrative works
that included legal issues, customer service and measures, contract worker management, and sales management, among others.Based on above experience, with partnership with former colleagues, we founded We Interactive, company that develops SNS and social search engine. From the inception the company made much headway, such as winning the National Venture Innovation Competition sponsored by the Small and Medium Business Administration three years in a row and Excellence Award in Venture Business from KT and SKT. In accordance with the company’s technological expertise, we secure investment worth 400 million won from the Korea Venture
Investment Corp. and received orders for national R&D project and secured governmental support worth 1.4 billion won. The first item of the company involved search keyword matching real-time instance community and second item was mobile messenger similar to Kakao Talk. The development took place before the launching of iPhone and secured agreements with SKT and KT enabling messaging in feature phones and also developed apps for not only iPhone but also for android-based phone and Omnia phone as well. Also,
we focused on SNS service similar to Kakao Talk. However, owing to developing items that were too complex, especially for mobile business that should have been simple to use, the company lost the chance to secure the top market share. The third item was social search and news curation service. The service involved crawling all data from Twitter and Facebook and ranking the popularity level of bulletin board message and the influence of writers. It was a new, innovative social search concept and utilized SNS big
data analysis tool and so on. In particular, the news curating service that was based on SNS data was downloaded from iPhone users over 500,000 times without any marketing and in recognition of such phenomenal success, I was selected an “Enfant Terrible” by Fortune magazine of USA. Furthermore, to accelerate sales and revenue, the company began social commerce business. The first business was called “Coualla” and the service entailed analyzing the purchasing pattern of users, as well as gender, age, and other
information to provide user-specific social commerce products utilizing “push” service to offer prompt and accurate service befitting the needs and wants of each user. The second business was “Monday Deal” service, a first come first served discount service. The service involved partnerships with major home shopping companies, banks, clothing companies, and others to provide heavily discounted rates and prices to user enabling them to buy products on Monday. The discounted products and all other information
was sent to users via SNS and through word-of-mouth and popular feedback, the company attracted wide attention from users, press, and IT industry. However, owing to the fact that the company entered an innovative and yet immature market earlier than others, we were not able to secure further investments and due to heavy cost of running business and continual research and development, we close the company in March.
Although we close the business, I don’t regret the six years managing the company as I learned a great deal. After settling the business, making the most of my experience, I founded Wiz Ventures in Apr. 2015. Unlike in the past where our business focused on B2C, using SNS big data analysis technology that we accumulated, we developed personalized advertisement solution and secured deals to sell to advertising agencies. In just six months of business, we achieved phenomenal 330 million won and in recognition
My past seven years of experience made me aware that there is a big opportunity for commerce that utilize big data analysis, and with the goal of creating innovative service that integrates with offline business I have applied for the position at your company.
I believe that for local businesses, planning of service based on data analysis is crucial. As I have conducted research and development on data mining, search system, and curation system, I am confident of my ability to manage local businesses. I sincerely hope to create innovative services working for your company and generate another success stories.
Despite having a physical and language disability, my ability to achieve aforesaid successes, awards, and business achievements is testament to my optimism, tenacity, and commitment to achieving success regardless of difficulties I have faced. My excellent interpersonal skill also helped me a great deal in realizing many successes. For instance, during my university and work years, I generally played a leadership role despite my handicaps. I am positive that my exceptional work ethic, relationship-building and